For a parallel display of the above verse(s) in New Intl, New KJ, New AmStd, Amplified, and KJV Bibles click here.
|Matthew 7:26-27 |
Display Chapter and Footnotes
26 And everyone who hears these sayings of mine, and does not do [obey] them, shall be likened to a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand.
27 The rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat upon that house; and it fell. And great was the fall [destruction] of it."11
11 Jesus concludes the greatest sermon ever preached with a critical warning! Do not disregard his teachings! You must obey them all to be saved. If you fail to obey, great will be your ruin and destruction. Only those who do the will of the Father enter the Kingdom of heaven. Mat 7:21. Jesus said he only did as he was commanded, not his will; Jesus only did the will of the Father. The will of the Father is obedience to his commands. You must wait, watch, listen, hear, obey... wait, watch, listen, hear, obey..... seek, listen, obey to ever be able to do the will of the Father instead of your own will.
To confess (say) Jesus is Lord is not enough. Jesus said he would reject many who claim to be saved Christians; many who called him Lord, who had prophesied, and even performed miracles in his name. So here are people who call Jesus Lord and do miracles in his name. They claim he is their Lord and think they are in Christ. But he told them he never knew them because they had never come to him to learn and be changed by him directly; instead they read the Bible, and listened to their blind-guide preacher. Yet he warns us: You search the scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to me that you may have life. John 5:39-40. See Jesus Wants to Teach You Himself for more on this failing. Confess means to acknowledge that Jesus is in control of your mind, mouth, and actions; you confess him as your Lord in thought, word, and deed. In many verses below Paul shows that believing Jesus to be Lord or God is not salvation, writing to churches of believers:
- Now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. Rom 13:11
- Continue to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Phil 2:12
- For we are saved by hope; but hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he has already seen? But if we hope for that we do not yet see, then we wait for it [salvation] with patient endurance. Rom 8:24-25
- But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for a helmet, the hope of salvation. 1 Thes 5:8
- For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing; but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1 Cor 1:18
(While in the inward cross of self-denial, you will see the sin slowly disappear from your life until you are free of sin.)
- Godly sorrow produces repentance that leads to salvation. 2 Cor 7:10
- Do not grieve the holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed unto the day of redemption [future happening]. Eph 4:30
(Paul is speaking to believers in the church who have not yet been redeemed, which is salvation.)
- For we are the sweet aroma of Christ unto God, to those who are being saved. 2 Cor 2:15
- we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold firm the beginning of our confidence to the end. Heb 3:14
- For you need endurance in order to do God’s will, so that after you may receive the promise. Heb 10:36
- we desire that every one of you show the same diligence in realizing the full assurance of hope to the end.
So that you are not slothful, but followers of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. Heb 6:11-12
And Peter echoes the same message that salvation is not just believing or faith, rather salvation is the end of faith's obedient journey and requires growth :
- Who are kept by the power of God through faith to salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a time, if necessary, you may have to suffer griefs through many trials, So that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tried with fire, might result in praise and honor and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him; though you do not see him now, but believe in him, you rejoice with joy that is unspeakable and full of glory,
Receiving the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 1 Pet 1:5-9
- As newborn babies, desire the sincere milk of the word, so that you may grow up to salvation, 1 Pet 2:2